These five steps will hopefully help you to enable the Fileinfo extension for PHP under Windows. These steps assume you have the extension installed (e.g. php\ext\php_fileinfo.dll). They worked for me using Xampplite 1.7.1 and PHP 5.2.9.
- Download GnuWin version 4.23 (the version number is significant) - your best bet is http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuwin32/files/file/4.23/file-4.23-bin.zip/download
- Extract the contents of
file-4.23-bin.zip\share\file\to a folder on your machine - I went with
- Add an environment variable, named MAGIC, to
your machine with the value pointing at the file named magic - in my
- Add a line (or uncomment an existing line) to your php.ini:
- Restart Apache if it was already running.
These steps are probably what you need if you are seeing errors such as these:
- Failed to load magic database
- Fileinfo could not load the magic file
- The given magicfile can not be read
- The given magicfile is not accepted by finfo
(The last two of these error messages are specific to Zend Framework)